The Shadow in the Glass

4/5 stars

A gothic retelling of Cinderella??? Count me in!
I absolutely loved this Cinderella retelling. It was darker than I expected from a fairytale retelling, but that gothic aspect made it very unique. Elenor’s character was very well written in my opinion and I felt like the author did a very good job of forming her character. I loved the suspense created each time Elenore used a wish, and the anticipation of the final wish built and built. Al in all, if you like fairytale retellings with a dark twist this is perfect!
Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC in return for an honest review

(Summary provided by Goodreads)

Now forced to work hard under the unforgiving, lecherous gaze of the man she once called stepfather, Ella’s only refuge is in the books she reads by candlelight, secreted away in the library she isn’t permitted to enter. One night, among her beloved books of far-off lands, Ella’s wishes are answered. At the stroke of midnight, a fairy godmother makes her an offer that will change her life: seven wishes, hers to make as she pleases. But each wish comes at a price and Ella must to decide whether it’s one she’s willing to pay it. A smouldering, terrifying new spin on Cinderella – perfect for fans of Laura Purcell and Erin Morgenstern.